PASSIVE HOUSE WINDOWS
The Passive House concept represents today’s highest energy standard. A Passive House is an extremely well insulated, virtually air-tight building that is primarily heated by passive solar gain and by internal gains from people, electrical equipment, etc. High performance triple-glazed windows, super-insulation, an airtight building shell, limitation of thermal bridging and balanced energy recovery ventilation make possible extraordinary reductions in energy use and carbon emission. The result is an impressive system that not only saves up to 90% of space heating costs, but also provides a uniquely terrific indoor air quality.
HH Windows & Doors is one of the only North American companies capable of manufacturing Passive House-grade windows and doors. Our Passive House-grade windows and doors are built without the awkward bulkiness of the European Passive House products. With a slimmer profile and glass line they are more in tune with American building preferences.
The superior thermal performance of our windows and doors is the result of both advanced engineering and the materials used in manufacturing. Triple overlay sash construction, triple gasketing, and multi point locking hardware ensure an unusually tight compression seal, resulting in complete air and water tightness. Advanced glazing options, including double or triple pane glass with various LoE configurations, as well as Argon or Krypton gas fill, produce exceptionally low center of glazing U-values. Finally and perhaps most importantly, wood is highly insular. In fact, wood insulates more than any other window and door material available. The result is a window that can achieve a U-value of .16.
There are serious advantages to domestically manufactured Passive House windows, including:
- Reduced lead time
- No shipping delays
- Lower embedded energy resulting from the considerably shorter shipping distance. Consider the true environmental cost of transatlantic shipping.
- Better long-term service: because we engineer all of our products in-house we are more capable of addressing any future issues should they arise. Consider whether a salesman or distributor of foreign products is capable of dealing with the highly technical challenges posed by Passive House buildings.
- Fully concealed hinging (smaller glass lines and more glass space resulting in a lower U-value)
- .16 total window U-value*
- Numerous glazing options, depending on desired U-value and SHGC
- 68 mm or 78mm thickness
- Triple overlay sash construction
- Triple gasketing
- Fully concealed multi point locking hardware
No problem! Our standard windows and doors still perform better than most standard American windows. Moreover, we can tailor our windows and doors to virtually any U-value based on your specifications. *Due to different testing standards, NFRC values are not directly comparable to CEN (European) values.